19. Yes, you claim your portion of the rent annually and you also claim the deductions from the income annually.
20. If you are claiming your child for the eligable dependent credit, you can claim for the whole year. However, you are unable to claim the child amount.
22. Yes, he can. Even if you didn't pay for his tuition, he can still transfer the education and tuition amounts to you. At the back of his T2202A, he will have to write your name, relationship, SIN number and his signature.
24. You can claim a portion of the lawyer's fees that relates to spousal child support but your lawyer would be the best person to give you the prorated amount.
21. The Manitoba Property Tax Credit is claimed on form MB479, line 6110.
Regarding the fitness credit, it has been extended to include young adults under age 24, but this only qualitfies for the Provincial fitness credit, not the Federal credit.
25. If you and your partner are buying a house together and this is the first house for both of you, then one of you can claim the maximum $5,000 credit. It can be divided between the two of you.
23. Your tuition refund may be zero because your income is too low.
26. You can only claim your pet if they are a trained service animal and fulfill the purpose of a service animal.
27. What province do you live in? Depending on the province, the answer will vary.
28. If your child support agreement is dated prior to May 1, 1997, child support payments would be taxable and you must report them on your tax returm online on line 128. If your agreement is after that date, they are not taxable and only reported on line 156.
29. Line 232 - other deductions. Please keep the receipt with you. Revenue Canada might want to see it. The lawyer needs to authenticate it as well.
30. Your inheritance is not taxable, and since your car is depreciable, there would be no capital gains or losses that you can claim on it.
Sheila, if you can, go back and ask for the receipt because it won't qualify for the federal program but it will apply for provincial credit.
Hello! Welcome to our live chat tonight. We have H&R experts on hand if you have any questions. Cheers.